February 3, 2005

Feb 3 2005 - Sydney, Australia - "Miki on the road again"

Hi all-

I finally decided whether I would go on this " 'round Australasia" jaunt and now here I am in Sydney. I arrived here yesterday after having spent a 2-day layover in Honolulu. My sister took me to the beach near where she used to work at a luau and where the show "North Shore" is shot. The beach was really pretty and empty and the water was calm - the beach is not on North Shore.

Now I'm living it up in Sydney with my dad and staying on the 28th floor of a really nice hotel with a view of the Sydney opera house.

[PHOTO TO COME SOON]

I arrived in Sydney Wednesday night and was so tired I just went straight to sleep when I got to the hotel. Yesterday I was able to tag along with my dad's business group for a harbor tour and a private tour of the opera house. They were both really interesting. Unfortunately I won't be able to see any performances at the opera house, but at least I got to see the inside. Last night I had big plans to go find a good restaurant and wander around a cool area of Sydney, but my "quick" nap before dinner ended up lasting 2 hours, so I just went back to sleep for the rest of the night when I realized it was almost 10 o'clock when I woke up from my "nap". Today I'm going to explore an older part of Sydney called the Rocks and then maybe another neighborhood. I'm passing up on Bondi Beach since I can't go to the beach by myself and swim - no one to watch my stuff while I'm in the water. However, I did get a nice view of the nude beach during yesterday's harbour tour.

I'll send updates from the road if I can. My dad and I are leaving Sydney Saturday morning for a road trip down the east coast to Melbourne on a road similar to Pacific Coast Highway. My plans are not quite determined after arriving in Melbourne, although at some point I'll be stopping in Hong Kong and Japan (Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka).

Hope you're all well and if anyone is in the area, let me know!

- Miki

No comments: